Pages

Bathroom remodel

So our townhouse was built in the eighties. 1985 I believe. 

Not much has been updated. The kitchen appliances, yes, but I'm pretty sure that's the extent of it.

Here's what happened. 
I went over a couple of weeks ago and helped my mother-in-law paint some awesome circles on an accent wall. There was a lot of grey paint left over. I took it home to paint it on our bathroom walls. It turned out to be too purply for us, so I went and had a lighter, black-based grey mixed. I thought stripes would make the place more luxurious, so I proceeded to tape off white stripes and paint the grey on. Aside from my difficulties with successfully working a new laser level, I did achieve level stripes and, in the end, they looked fabulous! 



 Please note the hideous almond colored vanity and sink top from the 80's. And the aged toilet that we seat-updated.


Well, I went out with some wonderful ladies after finishing all my painting and came back to find the husband in a genuine state of cogitation (I could tell he'd been thinking real hard about something). I sat down and asked what he'd been doing while I was out, and he looks at me and says, "I was thinking. What you've done to the bathroom is amazing. [thanks husband!] The shower actually looks nice now. What if we just do it. Go and put in a new vanity, flooring, and toilet? It would be so nice!" 

He was thinking about our beautiful new stripes plus our grungy old cabinets: 



Well, I was literally surprised out of my mind. We had discussed doing a bathroom remodel before, with the central focus being the shower area, followed by the rest of it.  Not wanting lose this perhaps-once-in-a-lifetime chance, I said yes! The next day we went out and looked at vanities and sink tops, pictured below & separately:



 Dark brown and white-creamy onyx. mmmmmmmmm

So we bought those, chose some self-adhesive flooring, and called it a remodel! 

I have always wanted to wrench a sinktop right off of its cabinet, as it looks like so much fun on the Home and Garden channel shows. So I did: 

 And it was awesome. I would gladly do this task for you. Just name the place and time. ; ) 


And we also just removed the whole vanity cabinet so I could put down the flooring the next day.


It turned out to be pretty easy. I did not know the appropriate way to use a linoleum knife, which is apparently to score the linoleum along a straight edge (like a metal ruler), and not to use the serrated edge to whittle off the edges until it is appropriately sized. Eh, you live and learn. I found out how to actually use the tool the next day when I took the 23rd trip to the home store. ; D I don't mind though. 

 This little fur face whined at me THE WHOLE TIME I was laying tiles in the bathroom, the whole time I was painting, and the whole time I was googling techniques. All because she was missing out on mommy cuddle time. Yes, it is a sad face. Yes, I felt both frustrated and guilty. 


I also added new vinyl baseboard and was quite pleased with the resulting color combination!

We had the plumber out today to update the sink pipes, put in the new toilet, etc. Now we have a functioning, likable, gorgeous bathroom! woohoo! 


Complete with brushed nickel accessories and drawer pulls:




 I also discovered a clever way to paint behind a toilet: hot glue a paint stirrer to an edge painter!




Now all we have to do is figure out the mirror!

 

Sample text

Sample Text