. . . hahahaha. . .
Sorry, that is a speech pathologist joke.
Accent modification is a branch of my scope of practice in which we, as SLPs (speech-language pathologists), provide treatment sessions for persons who A) have an accent and would like to lose it, or B) need to acquire a better accent. In the case of A, a foreigner might have moved into a country and would like to lose his native accent when he speaks the country's language. In the case of B, a movie star might be shooting a film that takes place in the midwest, but they have a Southern accent. In this case, I would teach the actor how to speak in that region's accent, usually by addressing how specific sounds are formed according to that region's dialect.
ANYWAY...
What I meant by "accent modification" is that we had an accent wall in our living room, but it was red. And nothing else in there is red. Our kitchen is red, and the accent wall is the backside of cabinets, so we went with it. But my eyes have been opened and I saw the opportunity to add more of our "accent" color, which just so happens to be teal. So yes, I modified the accent wall. (insert complete comprehension of homophonic blog title, followed closely by chortles)
So here was our wall:
Enter "Mermaid Treasure" deliciousness:
Rally the troops:
Troops pictured above consisted of: Awesome playlist at near-maximum volume for an attached townhome, caffeinated coffee beverage, chocolately 3 Musketeers goodness, and a wee pug to be my cheerleader.
Begin the transformation!
I think you can already see the vast difference this color will make in the room
And the finished Mermaid Wall:
We have said for quite a while that our "accent color" in this room was teal. Those accents consisted of two teal pillar candles above the mantel, which I'm sure you can barely make out:
And on our search for teal accents last summer, we triumphantly collected this beautiful piece of art, complete with a teal birdie:
On my newest creative addiction, Pinterest, I recently pinned a lovely little DIY project to paint vases, so in my exquisite excitement about all things teal, I jumped on the opportunity to make my own glass accent pieces (after over a year of searching and no plausible leads). In my next post I describe how I made the lovely glass vases in the photos!
It was really simple. You should check it out. Seriously.
So I posted this picture on facebook, and one of my friends suggested painting the door teal too. I was immediately inspired to do so, but feared the husband would not be so inclined to spread the teal love every place I could imagine.
To my great surprise, I suggested it to him, and after a brief moment's pause to consider this option, he looked at me and said quite definitively, "Sure! Why not?"
****GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!****
So there you have it! That is what I will be doing tomorrow!